Saturday, March 1, 2014

Replaced Front Pedders XA Springs

So Back in August 2013 (yeah that long ago), before I dropped off my car over at Ellis's to work on my engine, I had ordered some replacement springs for my Pedders XA Coilovers. Luckily I was able to get them without any problems before any of the recent issues with Pedders USA took place. We figured Ellis could swap them out while he had the car there and raise it a bit as well since I was scraping once in a while.


Front - Nasty!

Rear Springs - Still Fine
As you can see from the pictures, the rear ones looked fine, but the front one looked old, rusted and just plain nasty. The ride quality was also horrible, no matter what settings I used. It always felt like I had barely any 'travel' and it was bottoming out or the spring was compressing all the way. Based on that and comparing some pictures with other G8 members who ran the XAs, I figured out that the shop I had last used in an emergency to raise my car, didn't properly raise it with the lower ring, but simply tried to raise by moving the middle/top ring. BIG No-No! That left me with virtually NO movement and any pothole or bump in the road slammed the spring to the max.

So with the new springs in, and adjusted a bit better, the ride quality is now MUCH improved. Any bumps in the road now actually don't cause fillings to pop from teeth, or spleens to burst, and I actually like the stance of the car better now as well. I have not yet had the problem of scraping either so I am quite pleased with how it turned out. The difference is very subtle and I have a hard time finding a 'before' comparison picture, but the 'after' looks quite nice.



After new springs & readjustment



No comments:

Post a Comment