Thursday, January 31, 2013

And the verdict is in...

So I finally had the time to take in my car and have it looked over to see where the heck this noise is coming from. I went back to Ellis over @ Speed Secrets - He had done my rebuild on the stroker so he knew most about my car.

Based on some recent events I feel I need to at least mention the following:

Recently there has been a G8 whose engine went *boom* that was worked on by Ellis. This is most unfortunate and I totally sympathize with the person since I went through a similar situation. It sucks ass when it happens!

In relation to the work Ellis does, I did switch from Ellis's Tune to a Patrick G tune (that guy is AMAZING, even remotely- Then again, not a real shock since most people from Texas seem to be ;) ) for some idle- and other issues that Ellis couldn't get rid off. Patrick confirmed the tune was very conservative though and not running Lean or anything. If anything it was more on the rich side which seems to be common for most, if not all, of Ellis's Tunes.

Mechanically, I'm very confident in Ellis's skills, and have no issues with him working on my car since he was the one who not only found the issue with my engine first time around it spun the cam bearings, but also fixed it. It's a bit of a drive, especially to his new location, but he's always fair and reasonable cost wise versus some of the other shops I've dealt with in the past who will charge you double or triple already high 'hourly' rates just because a second guy had to hold a wrench for a few minutes...


First thing we did was look under the car and at least do a visual inspection of the flexplate. Several people had theirs cracked and when the converter bolts back out, you can get a similar loud noise. Those all checked out OK.
After going over the engine from below with a stethoscope, we move to the top and rest of the engine bay. As I had already noticed the noises were the loudest not on the valve covers, but on the front of the engine/waterpump area. We tested the accessory pulleys etc but they weren't the culprits either.

Next the valve covers came off, where an initial inspection did not show anything wrong. Ellis then hooked up some coil packs with some extra long wires, and with some cardboard covers let the engine run to really listen & see what the engine was doing. Wasn't long before he found a collapsed exhaust lifter on the #1 cylinder...

Just what I didn't want it to be....
So it seems like I'll be needing to rip into my engine again here pretty soon and swap out all the lifters. I'm thinking some kind of link-bar setup since these GM Lifters seem to fail a little too frequently.